Apple is expected to unveil its biggest and most expensive iPhone on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 as part of a lineup of three new models aimed at widening the product’s appeal amid slowing sales growth.
Later today, Apple is expected to reveal a trio of new iPhones: two premium upgrades called the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, and a cheaper device that will be a follow up to the iPhone 8 and is likely to be called the iPhone Xc.
Here are the major highlights of what to expect at tonight’s unveiling:
- Apple will reveal the new devices at an event in the Steve Jobs Theatre at its headquarters. There is also rumoured to be a new Apple Watch Series 4.
- This year’s lineup is an “S year” – a move that suggests the devices will mostly include internal upgrades rather than a design overhaul.
- All three of the new iPhones could feature an edge-to-edge screen, like the current iPhone X, alongside a TrueDepth camera system that can be used for Face ID.
- Two of the devices are predicted to come with premium OLED (organic LED) screens, while one could use a cheaper LCD screen. Rumours suggest the OLED models be on sale in September and the LCD model in October.
- Apple analysts expect to see a 5.8-inch OLED iPhone, a 6.5-inch OLED iPhone Plus and a 6.1-inch affordable LCD iPhone. They could all feature significantly improved battery life thanks to a new Apple-designed A12 processor.
Last year, Apple released one of its biggest smartphone upgrades in years with its tenth anniversary iPhone. The iPhone X (or “ten” as they like to call it) presented a major design shift with an all-screen front, a dual camera, wireless charging and facial recognition technology.
Great 2018 iPhone Lineup 👌 pic.twitter.com/eWp8QkksZX
— Ben Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1) July 17, 2018
This year the company will be expected to improve on that design. While the iPhone X was a critical success, it was considered hugely expensive at £1,000 and, while profitable for Apple, has not sold in huge numbers like some of its older devices.
Here is everything we know so far about Apple’s newest phone, and the Telegraph’s take on the latest rumours.
iPhone XS release date
Apple is planning to announce its new iPhones at an event at 6pm BST today, September 12, 2018 according to an invitation sent to journalists and analysts.
2018 iPhone X Plus (6.5-inch) and iPhone (6.1-inch) Dummy Models. pic.twitter.com/QrgkT6u0vS
— Ben Geskin (@VenyaGeskin1) July 29, 2018
HOTTEST FOREIGN SONGS
HOTTEST NAIJA SONGS
TOP PICKS 🔥