Born Niniola Apata but mononymously known as Niniola, unarguably the queen of Afro House music in Nigeria. On this week’s Artist Focus on talkGlitz.tv, we shall examine her rise to stardom and prominence in the rare genre.
Niniola’s first major spotlight was at the MTN Project Fame West Africa in 2013 where she emerged the third runner-up. Though she wasn’t the winner but one of the favorite contestants in the same season Olawale won.
See how Niniola held it down with the performance of “Limpopo” with KCee at Project Fame West Africa Season 6 (2013):
She also recorded a song she performed at the final of the show and he got her a lot of eccolades.
After Project Fame, Niniola released her first song titled “Ibadi” in 2014 produced by the prolific beatmaker, Sarz.
“Ibadi” made quite an impact to launch her career into the Afro House music genre. Starting off her management with Naija Review, she dropped her debut album “This Is Me” in 2017 which enlists hits like “Maradona”, “Saro”, “Magun” and the rest.
In the Nigerian music industry, there is no contender in the Afro House music as Niniola unarguably holds the genre down across Africa.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT NINIOLA
– She’s the elder sister of Teniola Apata, buzzing singer also known as Teni Makanaki.
– It might interest you to know that Niniola is a graduate of Biology from the University of Lagos (UNILAG)
– Niniola is the daughter of the late Brigadier-General Simeon Olaosebikan Apata, the founder of Apata Memorial High School, who was assassinated at his apartment on January 8, 1995.
– Niniola has an eye defect and she can barely see things without her glasses. Now, she has resolved to the use of a contact lens to adjust her defect in a way she still remains fashionable.
– Niniola is the only Nigerian artist that legitly uses lewd (sexual) lyrics in her songs without listeners being conscious of it. We just roll with the rhythm. Maradona, Bana, Magun and the likes are typical examples.
– Niniola has a great number of audience in South-Africa as they often hold claims to her kind of music (Afro House)
– Niniola Apata has been under Naija Review management since her emergence till date.