The Federal Government has suspended further evacuation of stranded Nigerians overseas because of a new policy on evacuation of Nigerians that will take effect.
Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama said this decision was to hasten the implementation of the new policy on evacuation of Nigerians.
Onyeama said that henceforth evacuated Nigerians would not have to go straight into 14-day government monitored isolation if they test negative from their country of origin.
Onyeama added that according the new policy, evacuees would have to be tested at most nine days before their flight take off.
The minister stated that those who test positive would not be allowed on the flight.
He said the new policy will take effect from next week.
The new policy, he said will give the government enough latitude to fly more Nigerians home.
So far, The Nigerian Government has evacuated 989 stranded citizens with.
265 from United Arab Emirates;
United Kingdom (253);
United States (160);
Saudi Arabia (292) and
- COVID-19 Patient Who Fled Isolation Centre ‘Infects Workers’ At Plateau Hospital - June 18, 2020
- FG Lists Six Conditions To Reopen Varsities, Others - June 17, 2020
- Lagos Suspends Re-opening Of Worship Centres, Event Centres - June 17, 2020